Thursday, November 13, 2014

Blog Post 13

Physical education has changed in the last 20 years. 
Teaching has changed in the last five years. 
Use the source of the interview with the teacher Charlotte Wiggins to answer the question.
 What do you think will change the most in PE in the next 20 years?

Back to the Future: What will PE be in 2034?

     I interviewed a teacher who has been the field for 28 years. Charlotte Wiggins is an 1985 graduate of South Alabama. Mrs. Wiggins taught elementary PE for 25 years. She now teaches high school PE. I think what is interesting is the year she started teaching which was in 1986. Computers were finally becoming "personal computers." The interview was only five minute video. I had much more questions that was asked and answered. The most important I asked was, "Did you ever think you teach in such a technology classroom." She shook her head no. I think no one did. Especially, PE I think most people still do not think technology can be used much in PE. 

  I think you have to be adaptable every day. So in sense do not be concrete. I think abstract is what everyone needs to be. The classroom will change in the next twenty years. I think PE can get somewhat more modern technology in it. I think PE will become more of an intro to health and kinesilogy. Obesity is a growing problem in the United States. I know one of the best way to combat this problem is with exercise. I think though it would be more beneficial to the student to learn how to become more healthy. I know most people would say that is why they take a health class in school. I think health is better taught with a hands on approach. Science class takes you in lab to do experiments. They take you in lab to show you what you cannot. I think PE will and can become a lab experiment. We will teach the student about how the body works and show them. You have PE every school day. I know you can do so much with this teaching style because you can have a "lab," everyday. I do not think they will take away basketball or dodge ball. The brilliant thing about this is you can use any physical activity to teach this. You can also have the students blog about the activity. They can document what they consumed that day. They could see how they performed. I think PE does not have to teach you just how to eat. I think PE will and can be an actual educational class instead of just outside or inside play time. If PE does this in the next twenty years. PE can start to actually benefit people for years to come.






1 comment:

  1. This is a very cool idea! I mean, it forces you to learn/think but it isn't boring and dreadful! Very good job!

    ReplyDelete