Sunday, September 14, 2014

Project #15 Search Engines

Search Engines Review

Ixquick search engine is supposed to be the most private engine. It provides people with privacy on their search. It also will help block you from cookies. I ran four searches on different things. The only question is how private is the search engine. It advertises that it is the most private. I think there is not really a good way to tell. I think you would have to run this search engine for months to see how the privacy works.

About is an index search engine. The search engine provides expert's advice. I searched for some top restaurants in Mobile. The results came back very great. It gave you a few web sites where they offer you their top ten places to eat in Mobile. I think ask is a very helpful search engine. The expert's on the side gives you comfort. It is almost like having a guarantee.

Bing is becoming one of the most popular search engines. It is the search engine used for the new xbox systems. Bing provides you with quick and effective search based on your history and your social media history. I found Bing very useful because most of the time when you search for something you have to scroll because the search provider does not know what exactly you were asking. The social media aspect also helps because every one in the world uses social media now.

Excite was one of the most popular search engines in the 1990's. It is still feeling the affect of a company called, "Google." Excite was an ok search engine. I searched for south alabama university on one of the practice searches. The results came back for Phoenix University. I would not use this search engine. It should have ended in the 90's.

Lycos.com is one of the oldest search engines. It advertises accurate information. Lycos is a really great search engine. I ran some practice searches and found it the accuracy to be true. It also when I got to the site it had Mobile's weather dead center. Lycos is still a great search engine. The only negative to Lycos is only having four links to a page pop up on your search. I think it might be Lycos trying to show off it's accuracy too much.

Yahoo search engine is the cousin of google. It advertises to have the most relevant information for you. I have used yahoo search for the relevant information before for paper's. I found it a better news provider than google. Yahoo too me is like an iPhone to an Android. Yahoo being close to google. Google is just made by Apple. Yahoo can try to keep the race close. Yahoo relevant news and searches with less advertisement is why I would use their search engine again.

Mywebsearch.com is a search engine powered by google. It will bring you to their site because of the less advertisement and the quick links on the home page. I found it to be very efficient. It just felt like Google with another website. I did not care for this site too much. I feel if I wanted to use google I would have went to Google. I do not really understand how this search engine can stay alive because it is Google in another wrapper.

The last search engine I reviewed was Info Space. Info Space has been around since 1996. It offers one of the fastest keyword searches on the internet. I searched for "roll tide." The results were fast and effective. It brought up two Alabama web sites. It was helpful. I just think it could have been better if I had a link to the history of roll tide. Info Space has been around for a while and will continue too because of the keyword searches.

After reviewing the search engines, I have come to the conclusion that everyone is fighting for seconds. Google is the best most effective search engine ever. I know my project was to review eight search engines not using google. It was tough not to compare everything to Google. I used Google to find my eight search engines. The search engine is no longer a race for the best. Google is just waiting for everyone to finish the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment