Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Blog Assignment #6

What did I learn from these conversations with Anthony Capps?

   Teaching is hard. You have to be a learner. This thought really stood out to me. I think most people's initial thought is as a teacher you are not learning anymore. Anthony discusses how you have to be learning the different programs. Programs can only be used if you can teach them to your students. So, you have to be able to learn how to use these programs. Technology is there more importantly to help your students and not the teacher. Icurio is an excellent program that is a search engine. A search engine that only shows you information that is factual and can be used in a education setting. I did not know a program like this existed. Icurio also has a storage capacity. The storage capacity is will help promote organization. Organization is a key for getting anything accomplished. I'm glad I learned about this program because it will make sources for projects easier to find. The video of Icurio is a great watch for any body that does not know about it. 

  


  
   Technology is every where. I know every body knows that. I learned from Anthony that technology is natural. It should not be taught. He does not set aside days to teach technology. Instead, slowly present the technology to your students. They will learn by just using the technology given to them. Have you ever watched a four year old use a smart phone? They can get to the apps. They want to use. Point being technology is so natural it is like learning to walk. Practice with new technology will lead to knowing that technology. The flexibility of teachers is something you expect a teacher to need but Anthony gives you a clear definition of it. I thought the example used in the video, "Strange Tips for Teachers Part 1," is shows you exactly what is flexibility and more. Flexibility is being able to teach when surprises occur. They will occur so be ready. I took away that if I have my four things that is most important for teachers prepared then it should help me with my flexibility and surprises. The four things are year, unit, weekly, and daily. It should be organized with what you want to teach on a yearly basis to the exact unit and so on and so forth. 

  


 The most important thing I took away from the Anthony conversations is learning has to be fun. The students need it to be fun. I have in the past hated group projects because I never saw the meaning of them. I saw a whole different world when I watched, "Project Based Learning Part I." Group projects is a great way to make learning fun. They are not easy. You have to make sure each project is content driven. The content has to be interesting to you and the students. Group projects is a great tool. The students get to learn the best way. The best way being by themselves. The project has to be in the situation that they are creating something by learning how to create it. Discovery Ed is an awesome program. It gives the students a visual. Discovery Ed will give you an illustration and background information. I loved history. I found out I like it more on the history channel. I think that was mostly because it gave me a visual of history. If you want to learn more on Discovery Ed, I provided a link to it, "Discovery Ed." 

  


  I learned so much in each video. It was hard to decide the key points to me. I would like to know other people's key points. Every person thinks differently and might have a different perspective on the video's. I know all of which I learned will benefit when It is my turn to take the reigns of a classroom. 



2 comments:

  1. "You have to be a learner." Yes, we must be life long learners.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Issac,
    Great post! I really enjoyed reading it, we make some of the same points. I agree we never stop learning!

    ReplyDelete