Sunday, September 14, 2014

Blog Assignment #4

Asking questions: What questions do we ask? How do we ask?

I have never thought about how this topic before. I read the "Right Way to Ask Questions," by Ben Johnson. The main points I took away from the article was the open ended questions and how kids get left behind in class. I have been a student for seventeen years. The article made me think about the teachers I have taken. The teachers that asked questions that provoke thought and those that asked simple yes and no questions. I was never one to ask questions in school because I thought the questions did not pertain to me. I think the open ended question are good but they have to be asked to pertain to the whole class. The article showed me the importance because the students will become lost. I though of myself getting lost in high school when I thought the question did not pertain to me. The question needs to make at least over half of the class provoke real thought about something.

I now have found out the importance of the teacher being prepared to ask the class questions. I watched the youtube video, "Questioning Styles and Strategies." I wanted to see the different styles techniques. The video was really interesting for me. I watched the teacher use all of the different style and techniques to get the whole class participating. I think the one style called "random name calling," can be the most effective. It keeps all of the students listening in the class room. They have to pay attention in case they are called on. The kids listening for their names make them listen to the question very intently. They start thinking of their answer immediately.It causes thought provoking every time and deep answers because most kids are competitive.

I found out that teachers need to be prepared to ask questions. Anything said in the classroom is important. Every word is used to teach. The teacher's question is as important as the book and the presentation. The student's have to think about the subject in order to learn. You learn things because you think about the things being taught to you. The teacher has no plan for the questions than he or she loses the students. The technology has now become a distraction to every student. The teacher is now battling that as well as the attention span of their students. The questions that are being asked by the teacher has never been this important. Once the students become disinterested with you they become disinterested in the subject also. Questions are the answer to thoughts.

Work Cited

1. Question style and straties. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKqs3D0Z0M

2. Johnson, Ben. The Right Way to Ask Questions in the Classroom

2 comments:

  1. Isaac Wiggins,

    I had never really thought about this topic before either. This blog post journey was very informative for the both of us! “I now have found out the importance of the teacher being prepared to ask the class questions.” This is another thing that all of us probably learned while working on this blog post. I mean, we always knew that questions were needed, but we didn’t necessarily know how important they were or the preparation for them. I also love the picture you used! Remember, you need to use alt and title modifiers.

    I do have a few suggestions for this post. In the last paragraph, there seems to be a lot of repetition. The first sentence of the third paragraph is basically the same as the first sentence in the second paragraph. However, since you’re only discussing two views on the topic, a summary paragraph isn’t necessarily needed. I understand that some of these sentences are just emphasizing a specific aspect of the topic. You also don’t want to lose your emphasis either, and this is very easily fixed! You can just merge the last paragraph into the first and second paragraphs. That way the emphasis is right there with the information.

    “I was never one to ask questions in school because I thought the questions did not pertain to me.” The concept of this statement doesn’t really make sense. If a question is asked in class, it pertains to every student in the class. Maybe there is a particular type of question you were thinking about? If so, you should elaborate on that. The rest of this paragraph leave me with the same feeling. Students are in a class to learn about the class topic, so I’m not sure how it can’t pertain to anyone. The last sentence was pretty good though! I liked it. Although, you could probably take out either “at least” or “over” because they mean the same thing in this context.

    Here is a list of some of the errors:
    - No comma is needed after “random name calling.”
    - “The kids listening for their names make them listen…” It needs to be “makes” because it is not the kids that are making them listen, it is the act of listening that makes them listen.
    - There are a few places throughout that have similar mistakes as the above two. Just take some extra time to proofread your post, and I’m sure you could cut back on these drastically!

    Good luck on the rest of your journey through EDM310!
    Jennifer Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer gave you some awesome advice! Instead of doing a "Works Cited" area, just add those links into your blog using the codes when you are referring to them!

    ReplyDelete